Walking 10,000 steps a day is one of the popular fitness secrets. In today's blog, we will focus on the benefits walking 10,000 steps a day could bring.
Why is walking for 10,000 steps a day requisite?
Staying physically active has many benefits, and research has much evidence in support of it. It is lucid in various scientific studies that walking 10,000 steps a day improves heart health, mental health, and overall health.
The concept of 10,000 steps dates back to 1965 when Dr. Yoshiro Hatano invented a pedometer and named it Manpo Kie just before the Olympics in Tokyo. Manpo Kie means 10000- step meter. Since then, the world has stuck to this as a step target.
Top 10 benefits of walking 10,000 steps a day:
1. Reduces Stress - Walking sets your mind into a meditative state and boosts feel-good hormones in the body like endorphins, melatonin, serotonin. Walking is a kind of exercise that lets you forget about your worries and stress as you spend time in nature. You can go for a walk with your friends for the added benefits of health and social bonds. It has proven to improve stress resilience and lowers cortisol (the stress hormones).
2. Improves Sleep - We spend nearly one-third of our lives asleep, yet we do not get enough quality sleep. A research was conducted on 59 adults, out of which 72 percent were females. Each individual was given a wearable device to record their number of steps daily. They were also told to report their sleep quality. Researchers found that participants who took more steps showed improved levels of sleep. Walking releases stress and boost good vibes in the body to keep the mind calm and relaxed.
3. Helps Lose Weight - Ever wondered losing weight can be that easy? You do not have to go on a strict diet or follow a rigid exercise regime to get your body in shape. Walking 10,000 steps in a day can help you boost your weight loss by reducing fat on your body.
4. Supports Joints Health - As mentioned above, point #3, walking promotes fat burning and weight loss. Losing extra weight can help to prevent pressure on joints. Many of the joint cartilage in our body does not have a direct blood supply. It receives blood only when we move. Therefore, to maintain joint health, walking is mandatory.
5. Increases Energy - Walking promotes oxygen flow in the bloodstream as it increases the breathing rate. The increased blood flow helps eliminate waste from the body and improves energy levels to make you more productive.
6. Improves Heart Health - Walking can improve your heart health by controlling cholesterol and blood pressure levels. Research showed that walking reduced cardiovascular disease risk by 31% in both males and females in a case study. While we walk, the heart pumps faster than usual and delivers more oxygen and nutrients to different body organs that promote good health.
7. Encourages Learning and Memory - Our cognitive functions work effectively when our body is healthy. We can think creatively, remember things, and are less likely to experience dementia-like symptoms as we grow older. A study has revealed that people who remain active are less likely to experience memory decline.
8. Boosts Vitamin D - Walking can give you a chance to get vitamin d naturally. It would be best if you go for an early morning walk while the sun is rising; you will likely absorb Vitamin D. Deficiency of Vitamin D can lead to asthma in children, cardiovascular disease, cancer in adults.
9. Improves Bone Density - Reaching the age of 30, our muscles and bones density starts to diminish, which could lead to fractures and other health conditions like osteoporosis. Regular aerobic activities like walking can strengthen the muscles and improve bone density.
10. Increases Lifespan - Research has found that people who go for a regular walk for at least 10,000 steps a day are less likely to fall sick, improving their life span than their inactive counterparts.
What is the distance covered if you walk for 10,000 steps in a day?
In ancient Rome, counting the steps walked was the only way to measure the distance. An average takes about 100 steps in a minute, which means it will take half an hour for a person to cover one mile. Therefore, to meet the target for 10,000 steps, one has to walk between four and five miles.
How to make regular walking for 10,000 steps a day a habit?
If you are facing issues in inculcating the habit of walking for 10,000 steps every day, the below tips may help:
Set the alarm:
Waking up early is not everyone's cup of tea. For a healthy and lively day ahead, you should wake up and go for a morning walk. If not, you can go for a walk at your convenience. All you have to do is set the alarm to remind you to go for a walk.
Track your progress:
You have already started walking but are you keeping track of how much you walk, how much time it consumes, and how is it improving your health? Keeping track of your activity can work as a motivation to you as you can find how strong you are becoming and how your health is improving with just walking 10,000 steps a day.
Make it fun:
Going for a walk alone daily can be monotonous. You can increase your fun in many ways, like asking your friends or any family member to accompany you. You can also try walking in different areas instead of going on the same route daily to break the monotony. You can wear your earphones and turn on your favorite music to keep you boosted for walking.
The Bottom Line
Staying healthy is a crucial part of life, and walking is one of the best exercises which can give you the health and body of your dreams. Daily walking will make you fit, healthier and happier in life.
Sign In usign your email