What is cannabidiol?
Cannabidiol is a chemical obtained from the Cannabis sativa plant. The plant is said to have over 80 chemicals, collectively known as cannabinoids. While delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the primary active ingredient in marijuana, cannabidiol is also obtained from hemp, which contains THC in a minimal dose.
Cannabidiol is used by patients suffering from anxiety disorders, pain, dystonia, Parkinson's disease, Crohn's disease, and many other similar conditions.
How does cannabidiol work?
Cannabidiol has several effects on the brain. Cannabidiols actively thwart the breakdown of a particular chemical in the brain that causes feelings of pain, a bad mood, and mental sickness.
The prevention of this chemical breakdown reduces the mental symptoms associated with the conditions that cannabidiol essentially treats. The list includes disorders like schizophrenia. Cannabidiol is also helpful at reducing pain, inflammation, and anxiety.
Ways to use and consume CBD
- When swallowed: Cannabidiol is assumed to be safe when ingested through the mouth or sprayed on the tongue. Cannabidiol doses of up to 300mg every day as prescribed by your doctor to be taken for up to 6 months. Higher doses of 1200-1500 mg of cannabidiol can be taken by ingestion orally for up to 4 weeks. A prescription cannabidiol product named Epidiolex is approved to be taken orally in doses of up to 10-20 mg/kg daily. Cannabidiol sprays applied under the tongue are used in amounts of up to 2.5mg for up to 2 weeks.
Note: Therefore, before you take doses of cannabidiol orally, it is generally a smart idea to get all dosage related questions cleared by your physician or specialized doctor.
- When applied to the skin and hair: Patients in the past have not conveyed any significant side effects of this delivery method of cannabidiol. You may use cannabidiol oil on your skin and hair as long as it is prescribed for you by a doctor.
Note: It is always safer to consult your doctor before using cannabidiol on your skin. It is also advisable that you make sure that the cannabidiol does not react adversely with any other medication that you have been using on your skin.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Cannabidiol usage during pregnancy or when actively breastfeeding might have some side effects.
Note: Cannabidiol products may be contaminated with other ingredients harmful to the fetus or the infant. It is better to consult your doctor before you begin active usage.
- Liver disease: Cannabidiol reacts very strongly to liver problems and diseases primarily related to the liver. Thus, patients with liver problems have found that medication is beneficial when taken in smaller doses.
- Children: A prescription of Epidiolex (cannabidiol) can be prescribed to children if they ingest the medication. The most common dose used is 10mg/kg daily. Higher daily doses of 15-20mg/kg may be used in some children, depending on the severity of the disorder to be treated. Epidiolex can be used by children above the age of 2.
CBD capsules and oil
CBD has been recognized as a product that helps users gain a sense of focus while supporting other bodies' activities. For instance, the usage of cannabidiol for anxiety treatment might aid exercise-induced recovery in some patients. CBD pills are a convenient and efficient method for consuming cannabidiol for those who do not like the natural and robust CBD oil taste. CBD's effects vary depending on your age and health, but it is proven that there are several beneficial effects of the drug.
The difference between CBD oil and CBD pills or capsules is the form of consumption is that you can choose to hold CBD oil beneath your tongue for up to 90 seconds and swallow or add it to food and drink of your choice. However, many patients do not like this method due to CBD oil's natural and robust taste. The capsules, however, are a more straightforward method. These CBD capsules are more convenient for some users because they are easier to ingest. Swallow them with some water, and there you have it.
Many studies have closely examined the difference in the effect of CBD oils and capsules. They have found that because they are both obtained from the same organic hemp grown in the United States without the use of chemicals, insecticides, and herbicides, both have no functional and fundamental difference. Patients may use whichever delivery method they prefer for the same results.
Cannabidiol is derived from the plant Cannabis sativa. Although it has been legalized for medicinal purposes, other uses of the plant are still illegal. CBD has shown some great promise in curing anxiety problems in people of all ages, sexes, and backgrounds. However, due to little research on the matter, there is no conclusive matter that says what method of delivering the cannabidiol is more beneficial.