Every year, April is observed as World Autism Awareness Month. Autism is the least discussed topic ever but there is still so much we continue to and need to learn about this developmental disorder. In our today's blog, we will study Autism in detail, from its definition to its treatment.
Autism can be visible at any age, and CBD can be a great way to treat its symptoms. Before we delve deeper into the benefits of CBD for Autism, let's take a look at the basic information about Autism.
Autism is a complicated health condition that describes a group of neurodevelopmental disorders. This includes problems with speech and social behavior.
Also known as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), this health condition involves a wide range of symptoms and skills. According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report, 1 in 54 children has Autism.
What are the signs and symptoms of Autism?
Early signs and symptoms may vary from person to person. It may begin from lacking or decreased eye contact to loss of interest in social contact. Many people with Autism may possess sensory issues like over or under-sensitivities to sounds, lights, touch, taste, or smell.
Social challenges for autistic people include issues with:
- Poor Spoken Language
- Unclear Gesture Making
- Maintaining Eye Contact
- Inappropriate Facial Expressions
- Abnormal Tone of Voice
- Recognizing the Emotions of Own and Others
- Taking turns in Conversation
- Avoiding Social Gatherings
- Using Odd Words or Phrases
- Facing Sleep Issues
There is no single and specific cause of Autism. However, it is linked to specific brain structure abnormalities or functions that interpret sensory input and process language.
It is likely to occur more in boys than girls regardless of any race or background. The risk of Autism is not at all dependent on family income, lifestyle, or educational qualification.
The most common thought to be causes of Autism include:
- Genetical Inheritance
- A child born to an older parent
- Low Birth Weight
- Alcoholism and smoking during pregnancy
- Metabolic Imbalance
- Exposure to the toxic environment
- A history of viral infections
- Metabolic Imbalance
- Urban Stress Syndromes
- Maternal Health Conditions like Diabetes, Obesity
The signs of Autism usually appear in early childhood, and a child must be two years old to identify Autism. Early diagnosis can make a massive difference in the life of a sufferer with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Talking about the diagnostic test for Autism identification, there is no such test to date. Doctors rely majorly on observing the behaviors of the suspected autistic person. However, with the advancement in technology, few tests are considered to help with the diagnosis:
DNA Test for Genetic Inheritance
- Visual and Audio Test
- Developmental Questionnaires
- Many specialists, including psychiatrists, occupational therapists, speech and language pathologists, make these tests.
There are no such cures that can completely vanish Autism from one's body. However, certain therapies and methods can help reduce the effects of Autism.
- Behavioral Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Nutritional Therapy
These are the most common ways that professionals use to treat an autistic person. CBD is the trend now. It is spreading its wings at a higher pace in the world for its amazing health benefits.
Our bodies have an endocannabinoid system that receives the signal from the cannabinoid that enters the body and passes it on to receptors - CB1 and CB2. As soon as you consume CBD in any form, it reaches your brain and nervous system through the bloodstream in no time. Endocannabinoids help the body by regulating appetite, mood, anxiety, pain, etcetera. It has shown positive effects on controlling autism symptoms.
Since CBD is hemp-derived and a non-psychoactive component, it is ideal for reducing the effects of Autism. The effects of CBD begin at different rates for different people. Vaping and smoking is the quickest way to absorb CBD into your body. Sublingual tinctures may take 20-40 minutes to show effects, whereas CBD edibles can take 1 to 2 hours to move through the digestive system.
- A study was conducted by researchers from the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and Soroka University Medical Center on adults of 18 years and more who were autistic. They found that nearly 80% of the subjects showed some level of improvement.
- Another study has shown that after consuming CBD for six months, 30% of patients showed significant improvement, 53% showed moderate improvement, while 15% showed slight improvement. It also revealed that CBD consumption helped autistic people improve their life quality by reporting improved sleep, concentration, mood, and fewer seizures. (healtheuropa.eu)
- Scientists believe that Autism shares a link with epilepsy as it causes seizures. According to the American Epilepsy Society, most of the kids diagnosed with Autism have epilepsy too. Epilepsy causes a difference in brain functioning and makes cells and neurons act abnormally. According to CBD International, CBD has those properties that target different aspects of the body like calcium ion channels, glutamate receptor antagonist, sodium ion channels in the brain. These alter the activity of the cell by switching the ions flow in and out of the neurons.
How much dosage of CBD is ideal for an autistic person?
There is very limited research on the dosage of CBD for an autistic person. It can be considered to take some hit and trial method. You can try beginning with the smallest dosage of CBD and increasing to the point you find it suits your health.
The Bottom Line
Made from the roots and stems of the cannabis sativa plant, CBD shows promising effects on autistic people. If you are looking for a completely organic CBD product to treat Autism symptoms, you are in the right place. We, at IngeniHealth, create our exclusive CBD products organically. Book your order for CBD product of your choice to treat Autism naturally at
Sign In usign your email